Why do we need green hydrogen?
Green hydrogen has the potential to become a key energy carrier for decarbonising Europe, delivering:
- Decarbonisation of “difficult” sectors such as industrial heat, primary steel production and cement
- Decarbonisation of space heating
- Decarbonisation of transport, especially heavy-duty, long-distance vehicles
- Cost-effective storage for large amounts of renewable electricity – large-scale production of green hydrogen is a key enabler for a maximum build-out of renewables
- System flexibility to cope with rising levels of renewables in electricity networks